There are many ways to travel in Italy. We have done them all. Here is a list of more popular forms of transportation:
- Airplane – Airfares my be expensive within Europe but fast. Try trains as an alternative.
- Trains – Trains are easy throughout Europe. There are very fast trains to go between major cities or countries and local ones to go just about anywhere. Remember that your ticket MUST be stamped at a machine before entering the train.
- Car Services – Comfortable cars are available to hire for local trips or within a country. We took a car service from Rome’s airport to Naples to catch the ferry to Capri. They can be expensive but are very comfortable and fast.
- Buses – Local and intercity buses is an option. They are inexpensive but can be very crowded in popular tourist places like the Amalfi Coast. You can buy tickets (biglietti) ant any tobacco shop (they also sell papers, candy and lottery tickets). As on trains remember to get your ticket stamped as you enter the bus.
- Taxis – As in America, taxis are an easy way to get around a city especially when you don’t know where you are going.
- Subways (Metro) – Metros are easy to use and inexpensive. Tickets are sold at machines and ticket windows. Use your ticket to go through turnstile. Exiting you use your ticket again. If there is not enough fare on it for this stop, it won’t let you out. There are ticket machines nearby to add fare. Smart phone apps are available for metros in all major European cities. These apps allow you to put in where you want to go (like the Louvre in Paris). It knows where you are (GPS). It will first show you nearest metro stations and then which trains to get on. If you have a switch it will tell you to take a train in direction of, so many stops to a station and then switch to another train and go so many stops to a station.
Enjoy your trip abroad and travel around. We prefer to walk when possible to see the locals and all the sites in route. However you travel enjoy your adventure.
George & Jo Anne
- Campania, Italy (travelblogitaly.wordpress.com)
- ForReal Lemoncello … Go to Italy’s Amalfi Coast (personalwinemaking.wordpress.com)
- Campania Italy (travelblogitaly.wordpress.com)
- Wines of Campania (travelblogitaly.wordpress.com)
- Our Upcoming Amalfi Coast Trip (travelblogitaly.wordpress.com)
- The Ultimate Italy Train Guide (selectitaly.com)
- Why trains beat planes, according to me (nzmuse.com)
- The Finest Driving Destinations in Europe (epicatravel.com)
- By ourselves in Florence (rebekahstravels.wordpress.com)
- My new motto – “Go with the flow. Eat more gelato!” – Orvieto, Italy (9/7) (cartolinedallitalia.wordpress.com)