Italy is the land of great food. It is easy to find great food and wine everyplace. The Italians like simple food. They don’t like fatty sauces or a lot of mixed things. Keep it simple and tasty. There are some rules:
- NEVER eat at touristy places unless you want bad hamburgers or hotdogs or well done pasta.
- Trattorias are inexpensive and almost always will serve you a great meal (as long as it is not a touristy one).
- Ristorantes are more expensive with table clothes and also serve great meals
- Pizzerias are for a fast pizza.
- Bars serve coffee and sweet rolls in the morning, Panini (sandwiches) at lunch or dinner times. You can always get a drink, beer, soda or wine as well.
- There are new Happy Hour places that discount drinks and provide simple hor d’oeuvre in the early evening.
- Eating standing up (especially at lunch) is the cheapest while a seat will cost a fee.
- Wine can be ordered by the bottle but you can also get a carafe of local wine must cheaper and it is excellent.
- Don’t forget to save room for a gelato or some chocolate.
Wherever you decide to eat, try local specialties and wine. Eat slowly and enjoy the food. Smell it, taste it and savor it. Look around you and enjoy the other people. This is Italy. Time slows down (as does your blood pressure). Life is to be enjoyed not worried about. Enjoy your trip!
George & Jo Anne