Italy is a country that stretches from France, Switzerland and Austria in the north to almost Africa in the south. It is bounded on three sides by seas. The country is very mountainous and can be rugged in some places. Italy has a great system of roads called autostradas. They link all major cities and the north to the south. The train system works! Trains usually run on schedule. You have very fast trains that link major Italian cities with the rest of Europe and local trains that go to many smaller cities.
The currency is the Euro and the Capital of Italy is Rome. The language is Italian but many areas speak a dialect.
Escape Here lists 10 interesting facts about Italy. Some are very interesting like:
- It is the fourth most populated country in Europe because of high birth rates and low death rates. Italians must be doing something right!
- Italy has some of the highest mountains in Europe (the Alps).
- More than 50 million tourists visit each year. Most of them only see the major cities. Italy has so much more to offer the educated tourists.
- Pasta with tomato sauce wasn’t eaten here until the 1600’s. The food we mostly associate with Italy is relatively new to Italians.
Of course We would add:
- Great food & wine
- White Truffles – our all time favorite Italian food
- Mountain and seaport towns
- The language itself is so musical
- Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s
Whatever your taste, there is something in Italy for you. Get off the couch and go! Enjoy life the way it was meant to be lived.
George & Jo Anne