We usually don’t think of beaches and Rome together or at least I don’t. But Rome is near the sea and there are some nice beaches there. Rome can get very hot in the summer especially in August. When the heat gets to you … head to the sea. Revealed Rome lists 5 beaches near Rome worth a visit:
- Sperlonga – Most picturesque – about 2 hrs south of Rome.
- Fregene – Best nightlife – about 40 minutes west of Rome.
- Santa Marinella – Prettiest and most convenient – about an hour north of Rome.
- Sabaudia – Most pristine and it is free – about 1.5 hours south of Rome.
- Anzio – Cleanest beach – a little over an hour south of Rome.
Town of Sperlonga
These beaches are small towns worth exploring and great beaches to catch some sun or take a dip in the sea. Plan an extra day or two to go to the beach when in Rome.
George & Jo Anne