- San Gimignano – This is George’s favorite city in the world. He saw it first before the tourists came. Even with tourists it is a spectacular walled mountain town.
- Manarola (Cinque Terre) – The cinque terre are 5 cities in the mountains that you can walk between on mountain paths. There is now train service to cinque terre.
- Leaning Tower of Pisa – This is very unique to see a building falling over that has become such a major tourist attraction.
- Lake Como – One of Italy’s most beautiful lakes at the base of the Alps.
- Positano (Amalfi Coast) – Positano is a unique town of a million steps and one road. The two beaches are beautiful and the restaurants are great.
- Pompeii – It took a major volcano eruption to make this Etruscan town a tourist trap. It is unbelievable to see what they had back then. Self cleaning streets, speed bumps, indoor plumbing, and homes you would die for today.
- Piazza del Campo (Siena) – This is one of Italy’s most impressive piazza’s.
- Santa Maria del Fiore (Florence) – This is an impressive cathedral in one of Italy’s most impressive cities.
- Colosseum (Rome) – Even with all of its marble facade stripped away, this is an impressive structure. Inside you feel like you are part of old Rome waiting to watch a gladiator fight.
- Canals of Venice – Venice is one of the most unusual cities in the world. An entire city of buildings atop millions of tree trunks sunk in the water. A city of canals and boats instead of streets and cars. Let your imagination run wild!
After you have seen the top ten above go to small towns and mountain cities. Swim at some of Europe’s best beaches. Have a pizza in Naples. Italy is unique and very romantic. Enjoy it… How many of these have you seen?
George & Jo Anne