Italy has so many things to love and be enjoyed. It has been the number one place many people want to go or have gone. It is a land of romance, beauty and healthy good food. It is a country that actually likes Americans. When you put it all together, what place could be better to spend your vacation?
We enjoy getting into the culture. We always meet new local people in our travels. We try the local foods and wines. We feel relaxed and happy when in Italy. Here are some of our favorite things to do:
- Meet and watch the local people. You can learn so much about a country that way.
- Eat local foods at non touristy restaurants. A Trattoria is our favorite place to eat but we also enjoy a good Enoteca.
- Gelato!!! Eat all you can get while in Italy. It is less fat than normal ice cream but tastes so much better.
- Drink the wine. Italians enjoy their wines. They don’t get drunk but enjoy a glass or two with dinner or at happy hour with the free food that is served.
- Swim at the beaches! We love the southern Italy beaches that are sandy (not the rocky ones). These are among the cleanest and nicest beaches in the world.
- Visit the big cities and major attractions but get out into the Italian countryside and visit small towns and mountain towns.
- Stay at small family run hotels, B&Bs or a Agriturismo.
- Eat the great crusty Italian bread and pastries. They are less sweet than our sweets but so flavorful.
- No trip to Italy is complete without COFFEE! Italians love their coffee (espresso).
- If you happen to be lucky enough to be in northern Italy in the fall … Eat the white truffles. These are unique to Italy. Other countries have the less flavorful black truffles but not the white ones.
If this appeals to you, visit Italy soon. Be happy! Be Romantic!
George & Jo Anne