Before the Romans there were the Etruscans. They were an advanced people. They built some great cities like Pompeii. This civilization lived in ancient Italy in the current areas of Tuscany, Umbria and Lazio. It started just after the Iron age and last up to the Roman period.
“Livescience” has an article on early Etruscan life. It was titled “Skeleton of early Prince Reveals Etruscan Life”. The Etruscans they are talking about lived between 616 & 579 BC. That’s a long time ago. If you have been to Pompeii or are planning a trip to Naples or Rome Italy, go and see Pompeii. It’s that famous city that was destroyed by the volcano Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. It was not destroyed by lava but very hot volcanic ash that covered the entire city killing everyone inside. After they found this remarkable city they dug out the ash and discovered a modern city. Some of the things that were amazing to us were:
- Stone ovens like our brick pizza ovens probably for bread
- Speed bumps to slow down the horse and carriages inside the city
- A water gravity system that when turned on cleaned the streets automatically
- Homes that were very large and beautiful. Several we would love to live in today
- Graffiti on the walls as a form of communication
- Hotels catering to prostitution
Don’t miss this wonderful glimpse into the past.
George & Jo Anne
- Pompeii… (travelblogitaly.wordpress.com)
- Horatius and Ancient Rome(decoding Oblivion) (planet.infowars.com)
- Etruscan Warrior Prince Actually A Princess, Bone Analysis Reveals (huffingtonpost.com)
- Background Info on Pompeii (uncoveringpompeii.wordpress.com)
- The Beauty of Etruscan Revival Jewelry (isadorasblog.wordpress.com)