Italy is typically the number one choice for visitors wanting:
1) Great Food – There is no better food anywhere than in Italy’s family owned restaurants and Trattoria. As long as you stay away from the tourist traps, you can find great food. It takes time to prepare fresh made food so be patient. If you are in a hurry and don’t care about quality, eat at American Fast Food places or tourist traps.
2) Wine – Some of the best wine in the world comes from Italy. Names like Brunello, Barolo, Montepulciano and Chianti are world-famous. Local made wines in Italy rarely get bottled. These are from small production shops that sell the wine by the liter. In a restaurant, you order a ½ liter or liter and it comes in a pitcher.
3) Museums – Some of the best Museums in the world are in Italy. Some noted museums are:
a) Uffizi in Florence
b) Vatican in Vatican City (Rome)
c) Borghese in Rome
d) Sistine Chapel in Vatican City
e) Palazzo Piti in Florence
f) National Archaeological Museum in Naples
g) Gallerie dell’Accademia in Milan
h) Egizio in Turin
i) Ferrari in Maranello
j) Academy Gallery in Venice
4) Beautiful Vistas – Where better to see either mountains or the sea or both than Italy. Italy as a country had its origins from violent volcanic and seismic activity millions of years ago. Its mountains are very rugged and steep. Some are very difficult to cross. Its beaches are magnificent. Some are rocky rather than sandy, some are from volcanic ash and others are soft white sand. There are mountain towns everywhere. Taking the Autostrada south from Rome to Naples, one can see hundreds of mountain towns. They are just waiting for you to explore them.
Beautiful Italian Vista
5) Historic Sites – What is more historic than old Rome. Imagine walking on the same cobblestones as the Romans did. Seeing the Coliseum is breathtaking. Venice is the most unusual city in the world. It is built on millions of tree trunks sunk in the mud under water.
Saint Peters Vatican City (Rome)
6) Friendly People – Italians are very friendly. They love to talk to tourists. They will be even more friendly if you try to speak some simple words or phrases in Italian. Many can speak English as well.
Italy is romantic, unique, full of adventures, to be enjoyed slowly and waiting for you. What are you waiting for?
George & Jo Anne