Italy is well-known for its great wins as well as very good table wines. Italian wines are government controlled and the Italian wines are classified as:
- DOCG (Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita) — controlled and guaranteed designation of origin
- DOC (Denominazione di origine controllata) — controlled designation of origin
- IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica)
- Table Wine (Vino da Tavola)
Read the article, In Italy, vineyards worth traveling across half the world.
Italy has your wine, whatever your wine tastes are. Enjoy wine with your meals as the Italians do. Remember wine tasting is an arousal of your senses:
- Look at the color of the wine. Reds should have a deep color while whites should be clear.
- A dark almost brown edge around the wine indicates an aged wine. A very dark edge might indicate the wine is passed its time and bad.
- Swirl the wine in your glass to release its bouquet. A wine glass should never be filled to the top.
- Put your nose in the glass and smell the aromas. A full glass might drown you.
- Close your eyes and try to imagine the smells.
- Now sip the wine and swirl it in your mouth to get the odors into the back of your throat and nose.
- Swallow and complete the taste.
Did you enjoy the wine? Wine is one of the most complex substances on Earth. Enjoy it slowly and fully. An Enoteca in Italy is a place to test many different wines. They usually serve small dishes of food to clear your palate and better enjoy your wine tasting experience.